This event is for people looking for a short breakaway:
🚲 cycling adventures and bikepacking lovers
🚲 minimalists that are used to bring with themselves as less as they can
🚲 cyclist that are not afraid of hard climbs, gravel and dirt roads, long days on the saddle
Join Apulia Handmade and Ferula Viaggi to discover the Trulli Land and its capital; Alberobello!
We will start in Matera and end in Matera with dinner, night out and a guided tour!
* ITINERARY *
DAY 1 – We will all meet up ready to cycle at 9AM in a local café of Matera to get a coffee and meet and brief everyone. Immediately after we will start cycling all along the old Appian Way and then up to enter a valley called Itria; the Trulli land.
Arrived in Alberobello we will check-in in our accommodation and rest. In the late afternoon we will have a tour with a licensed tour guide and then we will go for dinner (guided tour and dinner are included!)
DAY 2 – Leaving Alberobello we will keep exploring the very rich countryside full of Trulli houses, dried-stone walls and a lot of fruit trees. After a rolling section we will have a long descent toward the Ionian Sea and then two quite long climb up to go to Ginosa and then to get to Matera.
* WHAT’S INCLUDED? *
✅ A guide cycling with us all the time managing the itinerary and the program and answering to all our curiosities (did people live in those strange architectures? How were they built?)
✅ A guided tour of Alberobello with a licensed tour guide
✅ 1 night in decent and simple accommodation typical of the area
✅ 1 dinner (set menu)
* HOW DOES IT WORK? *
1. It is basically a self-supported trip (without the support of any vehicle)
2. We will cycle together, but each of us will get maps of our day by day itinerary so can feel more independent to be slower or faster. However we have set a series of stops where we will gather everyone
3. It is going to be super hot, so we will manage to leave very early in the morning to be able to pedal as much as we can when it is not too crazy hot, but the guide will plan for us more stops according with everybody’s needs.
4. Our organisation is able to provide bikes to rent (https://www.bikebasilicata.it/gravel-bikes/) and we can organise transfers to be paid on the spot in case anyone needs. Our guide will help you to take care of your bike and find a bike shop if necessary.
* WHAT TO BRING? *
– Comfortable bikes with tyres at least 28mm wide
– Safety lights
– Something to get change and at least some deodorant 😃
– A small tool kit and some spares
– some extra cash to offer us a coffee
– a big smile and will to have fun
* ITINERARY *
DAY 1 – Matera – Alberobello passing by Gioia del Colle about 64 Km (elevation gain 430m)
DAY 2 – Alberobello – Matera passing by Mottola about 95 Km (elevation gain 1000m)
The tour will depart with a minimum of two participants.