This event is for the ones of you that are looking for an “extreme” cycling experience in Southern Italy
Basilicata Region is one of the most unspoiled and unexplored part of Italy – mostly uninhabited – and offers a great chance to discover the real authenticity of our country with amazing landscapes, genuine people, great wine and delicious local products
Apulia Handmade and Ferula Viaggi are both glad to launch the second edition of “Basilicata Coast to Coast Tour”, an organised journey (but not too much) of 6 days of cycling departing from Matera and ending again in Matera after touching Tyrrenium sea and Ionian sea
** Who is invited? **
1. Cyclotourists who love bikepacking as a travel concept that is based on the idea of bringing as less as possible so you can enjoy pedalling without too much weight
2. Travellers that don’t care of luxury hotels, but would rather prefer to get lost in a remote part of the World but still using a decent accomodation simple and basic.
3. Friends that, besides loving their bicycles, also what to share and get in touch with other people, drinking a cold beer or a glass of wine, eating together some of the local specialities.
4. Crazy people that go for the harder road, but scenic, instead of pedallind throughout a boring flat area; people that are not afraid of all kind of terreins, killing ramps, that are not ashamed of getting off their bikes to push them up when it gets too tough or too steep, people with a great bottom to sit on for long days on the saddle 😀
** How does it work? **
1. It is basically a self-supported trip (withouth the support of any vehicle): each of us is going to be resposible for his own expenses including lunches and meals; our fee (only 100 Euros!!!) only covers management and logistics of the trip, everything else will be paid on the spot.
2. Wi will cycle together, but each of us will get maps of our day by day itinerary so can feel more independent to be slower or faster. However, because it is still a group tour we will set sort of check points where we will gather everyone (usually the worst cafes of the region)
3. It is going to be super hot, so we will manage to leave very early in the morning to be able to pedal as mus as we can when it is not too crazy hot, but the guide will plan for us more stops according with everybody’s needs.
4. To pay on the spot restaurants and B&Bs we will all put a bit of cash in advance to help the guide to pay for the group and to make every stop an easy one (we usually use Splid as an app the keeps track of all the common expenses). Whatever you order or buy extra is going to be paid personally.
5. Our organization is able to provide bikes (https://www.bikebasilicata.it/gravel-bikes/) to rent and we can organise transfers to be paid on the spot in case anyone needs. Our guide will help you to take care of your bike and find a bike shop if necessary.
** What to bring? **
– Comfortable bikes with tyres at least 28mm wide
– Safety lights
– Something to get change and at least some deodorant 😀
– A small tool kit and some spares
– some extra cash to offer us a coffee
– a big smile and will to have fun
** Itinerary **
DAY 1: Meet-up in the evening in Matera, in a local bar to be determined, to get to know each other and to toast to a great adventure.
DAY 2: From Matera to Pietrapertosa (about 100 Km)
(elevation gain 2520m)
DAY 3: from Pietrapertosa to Maratea (about 115 Km)
(elevation gain 2380m)
DAY 4: from Maratea to Laino Borgo (about 97 Km)
(elevation gain 2070m)
DAY 5: from Laino Borgo to Colobraro (about 82 Km)
(elevation gain 1930m)
DAY 6: from Colobraro to Castellaneta Marina (about 85 Km)
(elevation gain 820m)
DAY 7: from Castellaneta Marina to Matera (about 75 Km)
(elevation gain 1020m)
we will finish with a celebrating dinner!!!