This event is for crazy people:
☑ cycling adventures and bikepacking lovers
☑ minimalists that are used to bring with themselves as less as they can
☑ cyclist that are not afraid of hard climbs, gravel and dirt roads, long days on the saddle
Join Apulia Handmade and Ferula Viaggi to discover one of the most unspoiled and unexplored part of Italy: Basilicata!
We will start in Matera a 220km loop in three days of epic cycling!
DAY 1: we will all meet up ready to cycle in Matera for a coffee in a local cafe to meet and brief everyone. Immediately after we will start cycling all along San Giuliano Lake towards Grassano where we will stop for the night.
DAY 2: leaving Grassano we will start seriously climbing up to the Lucane Dolomites; after two very challenging climb we will be rewarded by two stops where we’ll have a chance to meet local people and to try some of their products. In the afternoon we will get to San Mauro Forte to rest, dine and sleep.
DAY 3: we start from San Mauro Forte to go through the ghost town of Craco where we will stop for a snack (offered by ghosts?). A second stop is set for us in Pomarico before getting back to Matera where we should arrive by lunch time (Italian lunch time)
* WHAT’S INCLUDED? *
– A guide cycling with us all the time managing the itinerary and the program and answering to all our curiosities (why people lived in caves in Matera? Why Craco was abandoned? What are peperoni cruschi?
– 2 nights in decent and simple bed and breakfast or similar typical of the area
– 2 dinners
* HOW DOES IT WORK? *
1. It is basically a self-supported trip (without the support of any vehicle)
2. We will cycle together, but each of us will get maps of our day by day itinerary so can feel more independent to be slower or faster. However we have set a series of stops where we will gather everyone
3. It is going to be super hot, so we will manage to leave very early in the morning to be able to pedal as much as we can when it is not too crazy hot, but the guide will plan for us more stops according with everybody’s needs.
4. Our organisation is able to provide bikes to rent (https://www.bikebasilicata.it/gravel-bikes/) and we can organise transfers to be paid on the spot in case anyone needs. Our guide will help you to take care of your bike and find a bike shop if necessary.
* WHAT TO BRING? *
– Comfortable bikes with tyres at least 28mm wide
– Safety lights
– Something to get change and at least some deodorant 😀
– A small tool kit and some spares
– some extra cash to offer us a coffee
– a big smile and will to have fun
* ITINERARY *
DAY 1: Matera – Grassano about 43 Km (elevation gain 670m)
DAY 2: Grassano – San Mauro Forte 82 Km (elevation gain 2050m)
DAY 3: San Mauro Forte – Matera 94 Km (elevation gain 1580m)
The tour will depart with a minimum of two participants”
CLICK FOR MORE INFOS
Check Our Published Events